Monday, April 9, 2018

We Are The Rememberers

As life moves forward, there will be an entire group of people that never knew Jared.  And that a painful reality because I want people to know him. To know his story.  To appreciate the life he lived.

As Jon and I move forward in life, people will think we have always been together. They won’t know that I had another great love. A man who taught me to love.  A man who deserves to me remembered.

As Steven moves to high school, his new friends will never know his dad. They won’t share any memories of Jared.   As we meet new people, they will assume that Jon is Steven’s dad. They won’t know that Steven’s dad lives in heaven.   They won’t know what an awesome dad Jared was.

As milestones in Steven’s life approach, I always think I wish his dad was here.  I wish Jared could see this.  As Steven graduates, gets married, has his own children, we will share stories.  Make sure Jared is included in our day.  Ensure Jared’s grandchildren know of him, if only thru pictures and our memories.

Part of my job as Jared’s widow is to keep his memory alive.  To be the rememberer.  To ensure no one ever forgets him.  And that responsibility is my privilege.

As life moves forward and new relationships form, there will be many people who never met Jared.  But because those of us that love him will keep his spirit alive, they can get to know him. He will always be a part of our family.  It’s my job to see to that.  To ensure he is never forgotten.  To remind the world of a great man who lived life to the fullest.  To make him proud of how we have lived and loved since he left.  It is not easy to move forward and live life but For me, it is the best way to honor Jared.  To ensure he is never forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment